We are experienced in obtaining permits in the City of Raleigh and Wake County jurisdictions.  They are separate and each one has a different way of doing things.  

Impervious surfaces

Both the City of Raleigh and Wake County jurisdictions have impervious surface requirements.  Impervious surfaces are mainly impenetrable surfaces such as houses, concrete driveways / walkways, patios, decks, etc.  The City of Raleigh inspections department has become increasingly strict with scrutinizing these aspects of proposed additions while Wake County has had them for quite some time.  They are doing this to ensure that the storm-water runoff doesn’t overwhelm other properties and to help control erosion.

Each property has a zoning classification.  This classification determines setbacks and impervious surface limitations.

The city of Raleigh requires a professional survey with each project application. They may also require an “as built survey” meaning that an additional survey must be done at the completion of the addition.  Only the permit staff can determine if an as built survey will be required for your proposed addition.  It is important that you have a copy of your survey to avoid having to purchase multiple surveys.  There are a few resources you can check if you do not have one.  If you use our services, we can give you these resources.

What if your house is located in a floodplain?  

These areas are subject to flooding during severe storms, like hurricanes or other large rain events that impact the three major river basins in Raleigh (Walnut Creek, Crabtree Creek, and the Neuse River) as well as their tributary streams.

Regardless of the extent of your repairs or improvements, you will need building and flood permits before work begins.

Construction activity in the floodplain depends on where the house is located in the floodplain and the cost of the improvement in relation to the value of the house. Any extension of the current footprint may require a variance from the City of Raleigh and possibly FEMA.

If the value of the addition or improvement to the house is less than 50 percent of the market value of the existing structure, you need to only make sure that the improvement meets the floodplain standards.

Additions or other improvements valued at 50 percent or more of the market value of the existing structure are considered substantial improvements. In such cases, the entire structure must be brought into compliance with floodplain regulations.

Our inspections experience

Not only is the business owner a licensed contractor but we as a company are very well versed in inspections and what it takes to pass inspections with ease.  Our methods and approach to each project is to not only meet NC building code, but exceed it.